Thursday, March 19, 2009

Recovery: Days 8 & 9 (photos)

Summary of recovery:
Pain = none, once in a while very slight headache that's it
Congestion = tons, driving me insane
Bruising = almost gone, all yellow now
Swelling = only on the nose now

So, one nice thing, I can actually see and feel improvement day to day. The facial swelling seems to be gone, so just swelling on the nose now which will take 1 full year to go away and see the final results. Bruising is 90% gone, a few yellowish patches on my cheeks but i don't look beat up anymore! Cover up with makeup easily, but I must say it's a good time to be working from home. I can tape the nose most of the time which helps keep swelling down, and also i don't need to worry about makeup or going out in public for a while.



Last night, wow what a rough night of sleep. Woke up about every hour with a massive dry mouth and stuffed nose. Honestly the only thing so far that is challenging in any way is the congestion. Pain, bruising, etc, all that is really minor and super easy to deal with. But the congestion is my worst enemy!

Before surgery, i've been using the neti pot daily to keep the sick away, so I called the doc office with a few questions, one of them asking when I can resume using neti pot. She said usually wait 14 days, but really it should be fine if healing seems to be going well. Nurse also said that it should help with my congestion, which is still pretty bad. So... i decided to give it a try.

Get the neti pot ready and pour half of it down one nostril, and it feels great! i can actually start to feel things opening up, when all of a sudden i get a big ol' bloody nose gusher out of one nostril. OOPS. Didn't really panic because I was so focused on trying to get the stupid bleeding to stop, which I couldn't. 10 mins later called nurse again and she said to pinch the nose for 3-5 mins to stop bleeding, then put tons of vaseline up there again as usual. She said to wait a few more days before trying again, but I think i'll wait a week or so. But i can tell that when i'm ready it will help a ton. It was crazy! Now, things are back on track, and (knock on wood) i do believe the congestion has improved a teeny tiny bit. But tonight's sleep will be the true test. Probably will pop ye old valium tonight so i get more than an hour of continuous sleep.

Oy, big update... I just pulled out the biggest bloody muscous goober out of my nose, and I can breathe better, amazing! i wonder how many more of those are stuck in there? I washed my face, and the same nostril started bleeding again, pinched to stop it, and then a big old bloddy goober started coming out, it was like 1 1/2" long! sorry for the gross detail but i'm kinda psyched because the congestion is a little better, yay. hope that means a better night sleep tonight.

7 comments:

  1. it looks great in my very unbiased opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it's been a year since you've posted this, I've just come across this right now. (I'm trying to look up people who've have the surgery done before mine and reading on their experiences). You nose looks great.
    I'm wondering how much your front view of your face has changed from before surgery to now. If possible, please do put a picture up. Thank you. :)
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will put up some recent pics this weekend, i keep forgetting to post a 1-year update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey abby - i finally posted updated pics, take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I just had my rhinoplasty 4 days ago and I am severely congested. I know that you mentioned congestion but when did it actually get better? Not to be gross but I'm constantly dripping with mucous. The clinic is aware of this and they say its normal... Just ridiculously uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janna - Congrats on your surgery! Well I can certainly relate to the congestion, that was honestly the worst part of the entire procedure for me.
    Since you just had surgery, right now you are in the middle of the worst congestion. For me, the first 2-3 weeks it was pretty much unbearable and I was 100% congested, it was so hard to deal with. But after that it started clearing up little by little. Every day it got significantly better, and soon I could breathe normally out of my nose again, that was probably after a month. Really you just have to give it time, and be patient, it DOES get better! As the congestion improves, the swelling will also go down, so you can start to see your new nose take shape. But just be patient, after a few weeks you'll feel a lot better, and the worst will be over. Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but just take it day by day and think about how happy you'll be with your new nose. Hope you have a smooth recovery, and best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aside from Europe, cosmetic surgery is very affordable in Asia. A lot of Europeans and Americans travel Manila for vacation and cosmetic surgery because of the medical services provided in Manila can rival the best in the world.

    Rhinoplasty Philippines

    ReplyDelete